Learn what's new in the latest release of Oracle APEX and how it has evolved over time. Read the release notes, marquee features, and other enhancements.
Released April 23, 2020
This release of Oracle APEX introduces a number of exciting new features and enhancements to help deliver a functionally rich and modern user experience.View Announcement Documentation
APEX + Redwood
The user interface of APEX and the App Builder has been refreshed to align with Redwood, Oracle's new user experience design system. The new design and color scheme extends across the full developer experience and provides refreshing new visuals. The appearance of APEX can now automatically switch between the dark and light appearance modes based on your OS or platform setting, enabling APEX to seamlessly integrate with your workflow.
Faceted Search Enhancements
Faceted Search has been enhanced to allow for cascading list of values, conditional facets and compact count display, among other enhancements.
The URL syntax for APEX apps has been simplified to allow for friendlier URLs at runtime. The new syntax provides a Search Engine Optimization (SEO)-friendly URL structure which is far easier to understand and provides immediate context as to where you are within an app. The URL no longer features application or page numbers, and instead, uses the workspace path prefix, application and page aliases, and standard web parameter syntax for its URL structure.
Improvements in Deployments and Exports
There have been numerous improvements in application lifecycle management including one-click app deployments, automated backups, zip exports, and more. These features make it easy to deploy APEX apps and integrate it into your existing workflow.
Native PDF Printing
You can now print PDF files directly from Interactive Grids. This feature produces a PDF file which includes formatting options such as highlighting, column grouping, and column breaks.
Universal Theme now includes Mega Menus for your application's navigation. Mega Menus render the navigation menu as a collapsible floating panel that displays all navigation items at once. It is especially useful for displaying the various aspects of your application and enables direct access to sections of your app.
- Users will now be alerted shortly before their APEX session is about to expire and will have the opportunity to extend it.
- SQL Workshop has now been extended to support Simple Oracle Document Access (SODA) Collections Interactive Grid Enhancements.
- There have been a number of improvements and bug fixes within Universal Theme for right-to-left languages.
- Filtering of data in an Interactive Grid is now supported through URL parameters as well as the new APEX_IG API.
Released November 1, 2019
This release is the first update to APEX 19.1 and includes a number of new features, bug fixes, and general improvements.View Announcement Documentation
Introducing Faceted Search, a new component that enables you to quickly search and filter your data like never before. Empower your users to see data in new ways, and discover new insights, effortlessly, with just a few clicks.
All New Team Development
Team Development has been completely reimagined to provide a simple and easy way for your team to collaborate together. Whether it's an enhancement request, a new feature, or a bug – everything is now tracked as an Issue that can easily be assigned, labeled, and managed. You can even receive notifications and see a full timeline of everything that's happening from a single page.
New and Improved Item Types
From a completely reimagined Popup LOV component to an all new UI for the Switch item, get more out-of-the-box with these new and improved item types in this release.
Expanded Shared LOVs
There are numerous enhancements to Shared List of Values (LOV) including support for additional data sources, declarative column mappings, and multiple display column.
There have been numerous changes and user experience enhancements to the Oracle APEX App Builder to make it even more productive.
Universal Theme has been refreshed with UI refinements, accessibility improvements, new template options, and deeper control via Theme Roller to help your applications look better than ever.
- Developer Toolbar allows setting the Default Debug Level and remembers the debug level when run again from the App Builder.
- Interactive Report, Interactive Grid, and Popup LOV searches can be passed to a REST service. Enable the Use for Row Search switch for a Web Source Module parameter in order to use this feature.
- The data upload functionality in SQL Workshop has been extended to allow uploading native Excel, CSV, XML, and JSON documents into existing tables.
- SQL Workshop Data Loading and the APEX_DATA_PARSER package support up to 20 CLOB columns.
- If an Oracle Text Index Column is chosen, Interactive Report and Popup LOV row searches will benefit from advanced searching capabilities such as fuzzy or linguistic search. Note: For Popup LOV, the Oracle Text Index Column is chosen in the Shared LOV definition.
- Several libraries have been updated to newer releases including Oracle JET, jQuery, FullCalendar, CKEditor, CodeMirror and more!
Released March 29, 2019
This is the first release 2019 and includes a number of new features, bug fixes, and general improvements.View Announcement Documentation
The development environment of APEX can now be rendered with a darker color scheme, which reduces eye strain and is especially helpful for those who are developing late into the night.
Create App from File
The data upload functionality in SQL Workshop and Create Application From a File have been modernized with a new drag & drop user interface and support for native Excel, CSV, XML and JSON documents. A new public data loading PL/SQL API is also available.
REST Enabled Forms
The built-in support for REST Enabled SQL and Web Sources has been extended to Form regions, allowing read and write access to remote data sources.
Form Region Type
The new Form region type significantly improves and streamlines how data is retrieved and processed for page items.
- New Status Meter Gauge Chart
- Declarative font formatting for charts
- You can now define group and category labels for stacked charts.
- Gantt charts now include declarative tooltip support.
- Accessibility improvements in Universal Theme including new "Skip to Main Content" link.
- There are now two additional styles for the tree-based Navigation Menu for Universal Theme
- There is a new Inline Popup region template for Universal Theme
- Improved responsive behavior for breadcrumbs and several other UI components in Universal Theme
- A number of new declarative attributes have been added to Interactive Grids such as Select First Row and new Toolbar Controls.
- New dynamic actions for opening and closing regions have been added.
- Authentication to the App Builder can now be configured to use Social Login.
- Save Session State just in memory
- APEX Upgrade will automatically copy ACLs
- Improved translation editing
- APEX_STRING enhancements
- APEX_SESSION additions
- Removal of jQuery Mobile
- Removal of APEXExportSplitter
Released September 28, 2018
This release is the first update to APEX 18.1 and includes a number of new features, bug fixes, and general improvements.View Announcement Documentation
Streamlined Workspace Requests
There are additional options to simplify and reduce the number of steps for new workspace requests.
New Page Types in Create Page Wizard
You can now create side-by-side master detail and dashboard pages from the Create Page wizard.
Create Apps from Sample Datasets
Installing a sample dataset will allow you to jump into the Create App wizard with predefined pages.
New Static List of Values Editor
You can now easily define static list of values in Page Designer
- Improved warnings within REST Workshop to prevent loss of custom definitions.
- Ability to update Font APEX stylesheets and font files independent of Oracle APEX releases.
- Font APEX has been updated to version 2.1 and includes a number of bug fixes.
- EMP / DEPT Sample Dataset is now localized in 10 languages.
- Numerous improvements to handling of touch events.
- General improvements and bug fixes to Universal Theme.
- Added "Getting Started" links to primary pages across the builder.
Released May 24, 2018
This release brings a dramatic leap forward in both the ease of integration with remote data sources, and the easy inclusion of robust, high-quality application features.View Announcement Documentation
Easily add higher-level application features to your app, including access control, feedback, activity reporting, email reporting, dynamic user interface selection, and more.
REST Enabled SQL Support
You can now build charts, reports, calendars, trees and even invoke processes against Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS)-provided REST Enabled SQL Services.
Web Source Modules
Declaratively access data services from a variety of REST endpoints, including ordinary REST data feeds, REST Services from Oracle REST Data Services, and Oracle Cloud Applications REST Services.
A completely rearchitected REST Workshop, to assist in the creation of REST Services against your Oracle database objects.
Developers can now easily create APEX applications which can use Oracle Identity Cloud Service, Google, Facebook, generic OpenID Connect and generic OAuth2 as the authentication method.
Universal Theme + Mobile UI
There are a number of features in Universal Theme to enable developers to build common mobile UI patterns. There are also new components based on jQuery Mobile widgets to assist in the creation of mobile applications.
- Wizards have been streamlined with smarter defaults and fewer steps, enabling developers to create components quicker than ever before.
- Font APEX 2: there is a new set of high-resolution icons which include much greater detail.
- APEX Advisor now includes a collection of accessibility-focused tests.
- New Chart Types - You can now create Gantt, box-plot, and pyramid charts
- Enhanced Sample Charts application
- New Chart-Level and Series-Level attributes
- Interactive Grids: there is a new Copy Down feature to copy data from one row to other rows.
- Interactive Grids: You can now Copy to Clipboard for row or cell range selections.
- Interactive Grids: User settable report setting "Actions > Format > Stretch" Column Widths and column attribute "Stretch" provides declarative control over how the column width will stretch to fill available space or not
- Page Designer: Updated UI to improve usability and improved "Go to group" functionality
- Sticky Filters: You can now pin keywords to have them persist as you click around Page Designer
- Upgraded jQuery and jQuery UI libraries: jQuery 3.1.1 and jQuery UI 1.12.0
- New Oracle JET libraries: Oracle JET 4.2.0
- APEX Search: Provides quick navigation and unified search experience across APEX. Activate by clicking search button from header, or using the keyboard shortcut.
- New "Text Field with Autocomplete" item type based on Oracle JET Input Search component.
- Declarative support for touch-based dynamic actions, tap and double tap, press, swipe, and pan, supporting the creation of rich and functional mobile applications
- Universal Theme: There are multiple template options to support mobile UI patterns including sticky headers and footers for button placement
- Universal Theme: There is a new Tabs-based navigation menu template that is optimized for mobile devices.
- Universal Theme: There is a new template option for classic reports to hide pagination when pagination is not available
- Universal Theme Sample App has been enhanced with Mobile UI patterns and a number of other enhancements
Last Updated December 17, 2017 (Version 5.1.4) - Initial Release December 21, 2016
This release is a great leap forward in end-user productivity and introduces powerful new declarative features, enabling you to develop, design and deploy beautiful, responsive, database-driven desktop and mobile applications using only a browser.View Announcement Documentation
You can now create an interactive grid, a rich, client-side region type that allows rapid editing of multiple rows of data in a dynamic, JSON-enabled grid. Interactive Grid combines the best features from both Interactive Reports and Tabular Forms. With Interactive Grids, developers can now easily render master-detail-detail relationships that can be n-levels deep or across.
Oracle JET Charts
Universal Theme has been streamlined and features improved design and UI throughout all of its components. This release introduces new templates, theme styles and Live Template Options. Live Template Options enables you to customize your application in real time, allowing you to try out various template options to get the perfect UI for your application.
Application Builder Improvements
Wizards have been streamlined with smarter defaults and fewer steps, enabling developers to create components quicker than ever before.
Enhancements to all existing productivity and sample apps, and also introduces three new productivity apps: Competitive Analysis, Quick SQL and REST Client Assistant.
Wizards have been streamlined with smarter defaults and fewer steps, enabling developers to create components quicker than ever before.
- Universal Theme now provides declarative support for right-to-left languages, modal dialogs that will automatically grow or shrink in height to fit their contents, and over 100 other enhancements
- Font APEX is a new icon library with over 1,100 icons, which has been specifically designed to complement the development of business applications with Oracle Application Express and Universal Theme.
- The Sample Charts app has been completely revamped to showcase the all new Oracle JET Charts
- The Sample Master-Detail app now highlights the different ways related tables can be displayed using a marquee page or different combinations of Interactive Grids
- Three new Sample apps: Sample Interactive Grids, Sample Projects, and Sample REST Services. The Sample Interactive Grids app demonstrates the rich functionality of Interactive Grids including read-only, editable, and advanced capabilities.
- To assist developers with the transition to Page Designer, a new Component View tab is now included in Page Designer. You can see your page as it looks when viewing the Legacy Component View.
- Page Designer now supports a Two Pane mode so you can focus on two panes at a time.
- You can now customize Page Designer by reordering tabs within and across panes.
- You can now quickly search and find a specific attribute or group in the Property Editor by entering part or all of the associated property name in the search dialog. In the Property Editor, changed properties are now indicated with a blue marker until the page has been saved.
- APEX Builder UI enhancements - Rather than just being able to upload a single file (or zip file), developers can now upload multiple files or multiple zip files. This is available in Static Workspace Files, Static Application Files, Theme Files, and Plug-In Files.
- Item Types - File Browse page items can be configured to support multiple file uploads, and can be restricted by file types.
- Page Submit - New Page Attribute "Reload On Submit" allows developers to specify when the page should be reloaded following a page submission. Submitting a page has been changed to not use the parameters of the wwv_flow.accept procedure anymore, instead all page item values are stored in a JSON document which is passed to wwv_flow.accept. With this change,there is no more 200 page items limit per page.